Tuesday, July 21, 2009

never respond to the naysayers, it just stirs more conversation

You'll be pleased to know that CMCA will not be running the program at the transitional housing unit but rather Rainbow House as they have a very successful record with this type of program. I'm not sure how the failed attempt at renovating the Heibel March building is a reflection on how we operate programs as Heibel March was an NCCNA project for which CMCA served as the fiscal agent. As I entered the picture I was hoping to change the trajectory of that project but ultimately found that the struggles were more than CMCA or I could overcome. I am deeply regretful of that but will continue to look for opportunities to support and facilitate initiatives throughout the eight counties we serve. Honestly I haven't felt like I could speak out about much regarding NCCNA business with the Heibel March failure hanging over my head but I am feeling more and more certain of our success on the transitional housing project. I'm pretty sure we addressed the neighborhood as soon as we were able to nail down our intention for the property on 7th street and I won't apologize for holding off until we had a plan for our property. I do understand and appreciate your concerns about me and CMCA and hope that over time you will see that neither I nor our agency are the evil empire you portray. Community development work is painstaking, slow, and rife with failures. I'm fine with the criticism and believe it keeps public officials, including myself, on our feet. Please note however that responding to blogs and emails are not the only way to advocate for things in which we believe. In fact, there are many people in the community that have written off these forms of involvement for their anonymity and generally negative tone. I tend to think that whatever form of communication people use is fine with me but I generally spend my time speaking one on one with people that can help the cause. I'm usually spread pretty thin trying to keep a foot in eight counties and more than thirty-six communities (not to mention neighborhoods, factions, interest groups, and political parties) so if my lack of response over the 802 Wilkes issue deserves condemnation, I beg your forgiveness. As for the CPS decision about Field Elementary, I truly have no connection. As I mentioned earlier, I favor an early childhood center but I support CPS cost saving efforts to relocate the Bearfield Center. CPS does a good job running that program and I believe they will weigh safety and community interaction in their decision making process.

Darin Preis

-----Original message------
From: Mike Martin
To: The Village
Subject: Re: CMCA Transitional Housing/Bearfield to Field conversion

As Pat Fowler notes (and welcome to the neighborhood, btw) a "well run" youth transitional living program may well be a neighborhood and community asset.

I've seen little indication that either the program at Bearfield or CMCA's previous attempts at helping the North Central neighborhood -- i.e. the failed Corner/Heibel-March store renovation -- were or are well run.

What's more, ill omens of future fiascoes have pretty much dominated the debate around both programs.

Despite all the high-minded talk about better public communications (especially at the school district), neither CPS nor CMCA contacted the neighborhood association about either program until word got out and a couple of us complained. And some of the ideas that have been floated -- a "barbed wire" prison style fence around Field Elementary, for instance -- seem thoughtless and ill-considered at best.

Finally, though I'm pleased that Mr. Preis says -- "My opinion is that we need to continue moving out the negative (I support your efforts to out the tenants at 802 Wilkes) and in the positive (I support Mr. Ziv's efforts to build more dense, affordable cottages)" -- I'm wondering where the "we" is in all this. CMCA and Mr. Preis were wholly absent from commentary or support on either of those issues, which have mostly relied on the dogged persistence of one or two people.

(With all the delays and the new banking rules since the big financial meltdown, Mr. Ziv may not be able to build his cottages after all, as I understand it).

So much for all that support.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:08 PM
Subject: RE: CMCA Transitional Housing/Bearfield to Field conversion

I am a new homeowner in North Central, having just arrived on N. 6th St last week. While I know the transitional living program proposal and the neighborhood concerns have several layers, I have a positive opinion of well run youth transitional living programs. I have visited SOL house, discussed community volunteering with the kids there, placed service-learning students there, and consider that program a neighborhood and community asset. The Bearfield to Field conversion is a separate issue and, like each of you, I'll do my part to speak to the school representatives I know about the need to include us in the conversation earlier rather than later.

I look forward to participating in community discussion as a neighbor.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darin Preis"
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:41 PM
Subject: RE: CMCA Transitional Housing/Bearfield to Field conversion

Understood. Thanks Mike. From my point of view we're not "moving at risk populations into the neighborhood" but rather creating a positive place for those that are already there. Ideally, our transitional housing project will not only remove the negative element but add a positive element that will give back to the neighborhood as has been the case with the SOL house. Our Boone County office is in that neighborhood and I'm sure you'll agree that there is no shortage of negative influences there now. My opinion is that we need to continue moving out the negative (I support your efforts to out the tenants at 802 Wilkes) and in the positive (I support Mr. Ziv's efforts to build more dense, affordable cottages). I would categorize our transitional housing for homeless youth as one of the positive elements we need to bring in.

Darin


-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:19 AM
From: Mike Martin
To: Darin Preis;
Subject: CMCA Transitional Housing/Bearfield to Field conversion

In the July 15th email below to Central Missouri Community Action (CMCA) director Darin Preis, Linda Rootes wrote, "Some of the bloggers have tried to draw links between your project and the CPS programs for 'troubled' youths." Mr. Preis then responded, also below: "For the record, there is no connection whatsoever between CMCA and any discussions regarding Field Elementary as the relocated facility for the Bearfield School. Personally I will be disappointed if CPS doesn't use Field as an early childhood center as previously discussed..."

I assume Linda meant the set of posts on the Village listserv that begin http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nccna/message/1140

If so, she is not being accurate. No one tried to link CMCA to the relocation of Bearfield School. For my part, however, I did point out that it's over the top for social service agencies to continue moving so many "at risk" populations into one neighborhood, especially in such close proximity to "problem" houses like 802 Wilkes, where drug dealing, guns, and arrest warrants are the rule of the day. I also said the practice smacks of segregation, and I stand by that assertion. I'm shocked there's so little discussion about any of these critical issues and what discussion there is usually comes after someone pitches a bitch. It seems cavalier and short-sighted on the parts of these agencies, but given this city's unfortunate history with segregated neighborhoods and blithely-executed paternalism -- things I had never experienced before moving here -- not particularly surprising.

Mike

--- Original Message -----
From: Darin Preis
To: Linda Rootes
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:26 AM
Subject: RE: CMCA Transitional Housing

Thanks Linda. Dianna Moore, Economic Development Director, is the lead on this project. She is not available on August 11 but I could be available to review our progress and answer questions if you all feel like you need to know sooner than later considering any advocacy NCCNA might do regarding Field Elementary. I'll tentatively hold August 11 on my calendar if someone could confirm that you'd like me there on that date.

For the record, there is no connection whatsoever between CMCA and any discussions regarding Field Elementary as the relocated facility for the Bearfield School. Personally I will be disappointed if CPS doesn't use Field as an early childhood center as previously discussed, but I understand the circumstances under which this is being reviewed.

Darin

From: Linda Rootes [mailto:lrootes@mchsi.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:17 PM
To: Darin Preis
Subject: Re: CMCA Transitional Housing

Darin,
Good to hear that things are progressing. We meet on the second Tuesday, so that was last night! Our next meeting will be on Tues, August 11, at 6:30 in the Cougar Room of Dulany Hall at Columbia College. We are inviting some folks to share with us about the Bearfield School program that may be moved to Field School. Some of the bloggers have tried to draw links between your project and the CPS programs for "troubled" youths. Accurate information will be helpful going forward.

Let me know if the date works for you. I look forward to your visit.

Linda

----- Original Message -----
From: Darin Preis
To: Linda Rootes
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:46 AM
Subject: CMCA Transitional Housing

Hi Linda,
I hope you're having a great summer. Dianna and I would like to give an update on our progress on the transitional housing project to the NCCNA. Can you tell us who we should talk to about getting on the agenda for a future meeting? How frequently do you meet? We'd only need 10 or 15 minutes plus time for questions. We are making progress and I just want to keep all of you in the loop.

Thanks.

Darin Preis

No comments: