Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Caring agency

As part of my subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) way of "developing an innovative, caring agency dedicated to being an influential leader in our communities" (Strategic Commitment 5) I make a point of variably harping on smokers to quit smoking and doing the best I can to support and encourage people who are trying or have ever had an inkling of trying. I'd like to make some partial claim to about four people at CMCA who have quit since I've been here. The most recent are always the most exciting but I was just notified that one of our long time employees, a die hard smoker mind you; the kind that has a bumper sticker that says "at least I can still smoke in my car," is about to celebrate her one year anniversary from smoking. I'm really excited for her and hope that it makes a difference in her life for her health and her checkbook. Another employee just got taken to lunch by a naysayer who bet that she couldn't quit for a year. I'm proud of all of our quitters and will continue to support those that have tried or might consider it. It took me many attempts before I was able to kick the habit back in 2000, and honestly I still stumble from time to time, but I feel so good about myself and protecting my family that I can't help but promote the effort. Cheers to all who have quit and for anybody that's trying, and for those that will succeed in 2010.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your support! I have quit in the past for about four months. But as life happened I returned to the false comforts of nicotine. That was six years ago. This year my husband and I decided that we would give each other and our children, the gift of health and quit smoking for Chirstmas. I know the physically it only takes three days for nicotine to be out of your system and everyday day beyond that will be a mental and emotional challenge. This challenge we are willing to face head on! So again thank you for your support, I will remember your victory and the victories of my CMCA family and strive to be amoung the victorius!!